BUSINESS: HERB CHAMBERS VESPA BOSTON
22 Brighton Ave, Boston, MA 02134
Spoke to: Dio Mayen
- How many different types of motorcycles to have on sale?
- There are six different engine sizes and 11 different models. The engines are: 50cc, 125cc, 150cc, 300cc, 350cc, and 500cc.
- What is the most popular motorcycle you sell?
- The 50cc is the most popular engine size, and the Piaggio Typhoon with that engine is the fastest seller.
- How often do you sell only motorcycle parts?
- Often – on a daily basis they’d sell about 10 Vespa parts. They also do service jobs, but this is mostly seasonal.
- What is the most popular colour motorcycle you sell?
- Red. People want something vibrant and visible. Least popular is black.
- On average, how many motorcycles do you sell per month?
- 30-40 per month.
- How often do you receive used motorcycles to re-sell?
- Quite often – about 4 to 5 per month.
- How quickly is the turnaround to sell these second-hand motorcycles?
- Very quick, it takes about 3 to 4 weeks. They service and check them and then they’re ready to be sold.
- Are second-hand motorcycles more or less in demand that new motorcycles? (by how much?)
- More in demand, about 10 more than new bikes per month.
- How old are your customers typically?
- Anywhere between 18 years old and 80.
- How much profit do you gain from new motorcycles?
- $400 – $500 per motorbike, and profits come mostly in parts and services.
- How much profit do you gain from selling second-hand motorcycles?
- $500 – $700 depending on the model.
- How do you determine the price of a second-hand motorcycle?
- They use the Kelly Blue Book – trading values for cars and motorcycles.
- Do people tend to purchase motorcycles during a specific time of year?
- Mostly in the Spring time.
- Do you ever turn away second-hand motorcycles? / Is there criteria to pass?
- Yes. This happens when there is no history on the bike and if it’s damaged.
- Do you advertise the company / if so, has business increased / by how much?
- Yes, through social media, in the newspaper, and on billboards. But the weather is the biggest advertiser… when it’s beautiful and sunny out and people see others driving on a moped, they want one, too. The weather is the biggest advertiser.